Wednesday, November 14, 2007

41 Kids and One PS2

41 folks at a lock-in can be a lot. Especially if you are in a church that is not that big, and doesn’t have a “great room” or a gym to house that many for organized activities. Especially if that afore mentioned church is W. Main. J

Last weekend we had a teen lock-in at the church. I planned and planned because the kids had been asking for ever, so I wanted them to be pleased. The games and ideas I had were excellent! The snacks and drinks were perfect! All of this may have been true….if the 15-20 I had planned on, who had said they were coming, actually came. But, God had different plans, and by the end of the night there were 41 of us there!

My first inclination was to panic. I was not prepared fro that many. The games would NEVER work with this big of a crowd! The food was gone in minutes! What we do?!?!? I wanted to panic, and hide in my office. But, that would get us nowhere.

So guess what we did. We simply kicked back, improvised and just made plans on the fly. We took what we had and we made it work. And you know what; I think we all had a good time! I know I did. Sometimes things just are NOT going to go as you planned, no matter how much you wanted them to, or how hard you tried to assure it.

God seems to be in the business of messing up human plans. He seems to know netter what needs to happen in this world. I think of Jonah, and David. I think of Moses and the apostles. I would guess that none of their plans for their lives looked like what God threw at them.

What about you? Have you seen your life plans change drastically? Are you upset about it? Have you considered that God may just have something better for you? We can fight against it, but we learned from Johan that will do no good. We can run and hide, but that did not work do good for Adam and Eve. Or we can just press on and trust God knows what he is doi9ng. Take your life as it comes, because your “planner” is a pretty smartJ

No comments: